Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Years Eve Dinner

I decided to throw a last minute New Years Eve dinner with my girlfriends to celebrate ringing in 2012. 
We definitely rang in 2012 in style with crab towers, bacon wrapped asparagus and a hearty soup. 
I wanted to do something delicious but not labor intensive so I wouldn't have to be fiddling around in the kitchen when my friends were there. 
Everything is quite simple if you delegate.

Check out this gorgeous crab tower!


The night before I soaked the beans for the soup.
Around 2pm NYE I cleaned and picked out the crab and refrigerated it right away.
Right after I prepped the fruit and made the mayonnaise and the dressing.
Around 5pm I followed the simple directions on the back of the 17 Bean and Barley Mix from Trader Joe’s (fancy that, huh?!)
I added chicken Italian sausage from TJ’s as well when sautéing the veggies to add a little extra touch to it. 
I also used sodium free chicken broth instead of veggie broth since the added sausage has plenty of salt.
If you decide to follow this delicious recipe for the crab towers, like I said, delegate your time. 
By prepping everything before you are not frantic when guests arrive and you can have fun!


17 Bean & Barley ingredients:
Crab tower dressing ingredients:
A delectable dessert of pecan pie and warm chocolate chip oatmeal raisin cookies with fresh whipped cream topped off the night.
Pecan Pie Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of unbleached sugar
½ cup of unsalted butter (melted)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon unbleached flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cream or milk (I use cream if I have it)
1 cup chopped pecans
Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy then stir in the melted butter
Stir in the sugars and flour – mix well
Add the milk/cream, vanilla and pecans.
Pour into an unbaked 9” pie shell.
Bake for ten minutes at 400 degrees then reduce to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 more minutes
Unbaked pie in THIS homemade shell
By the time everyone arrived at 8:15pm everything was ready, the Champagne was cold, and the kitchen was neat and tidy – my favorite way!
 And a great time was had by all!
Hostess at the end of our evening, nothing better than spending the New Year in good company, with delicious food, and tasty Champagne!
Bon Appetit!
xo,
VRB

Here's the recipe for the towers:


No comments:

Post a Comment